Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sunshine Award

Well. I'll be damned. I love when these little "award" things go around the blogosphere because it's always a great way to learn about the people behind the blogs I follow. I'm always shocked when someone nominates me! Big thanks to two very awesome bloggers: 

Lauren at She Moved to Texas -- for a small blog like mine to get noticed by a big blog like hers is a Big Deal! I'm not sure how Lauren stumbled across my blog, but she's a regular "voice" in the comments here, which I really love! Not to mention, she's "from" my area, so it's quite neat to see how a transplant from New England is thriving in Texas. Her blog is varied (training posts, product reviews, photography stuff, ect) and well written. I'm still getting to "know" Lauren, but I've loved following along so far!

Dom over at A Collection of Madcap Escapades -- Dom and I "met" via Livejournal a few years ago. When I decided to mosey on over to Blogger for Image's public blog, one of the first blogs I followed was Dom's. On top of having a way with words and talent behind the camera, she is a HUGE wealth of horsey information and I know that if I ever, ever, EVER have any kind of horse training issue, I can turn to her with my hair on fire and she'll calmly and patiently walk me through what I need to do. She's a no bullshit kind of person, which is my favorite kind. The only thing I don't like is that I live in MA and she lives in NJ! Hope to meet her in person some day in the near future :)

The Sunshine Award is for people who “positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.” The nominee must do the following: thank the person who nominated her, nominate ten bloggers of her own, answer the ten questions given to her, and post them and the Sunshine Award button to her blog.
Here are the questions:
  1. Mares or Geldings? I've always said geldings...but for some reason, I'd be really happy with a golden palomino mare these days. Pipe dream, of course, because a good horse isn't based on what color, breed or gender they are...but, you know, gotta have dreams!
  2. English or Western? Western. I rode English as a pipsqueak and while I liked it, I prefer the more relaxed western saddle. My ankles get cranky in an English saddle, and because I'm a big girl, it's hard for me to stay balanced in most English saddles because they simply aren't big enough for my fat butt! I prefer a deep seat, too. I like dressage saddles for that reason but, again, never end up in one big enough for my rear end!
  3. Do you prefer “younger” or “older” horses? Older, at this point in the game. Some day I'll want to play with a younger critter, but right now, I'm not interested.
  4. Have you trained a horse from ground zero? Not yet. I've watched my aunt D do quite a bit of work with her babies, though, and tried to soak up as much of that as possible. I wouldn't attempt bringing a baby up without professional help right now. Those skills aren't in my repertoire just yet!
  5. Do you prefer riding or groundwork? I like both, to be honest. I did so much ground work with Image that I learned to enjoy it for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I am a rider and will be a rider as long as I physically can, but I do enjoy working on the ground, especially at liberty in a round pen.
  6. Do you board your horse or keep it at home? Boarding unless I somehow become independently wealthy and can afford to build my barn with an apartment on top for me and have the rest of the land for horses, haha.
  7. Do you do all natural things or just commercial stuff?(in sense of products) If it works, it works. I prefer to stay away from things that have a bunch of chemicals I can't pronounce. Luckily, working where I do makes this a bit easier...I have manufacturers basically on speed dial if I need to grill someone about ingredients :)
  8. All tacked up or bareback? Both. I rode GP bareback pretty much all summer one year and it gave me a rock solid seat. I plan on riding whatever I have next bareback as much as possible because I miss having that rock solid seat! I like my Bob Marshall a whole lot, but I'm finding I get very sore, very quick in treed saddles now. I might be a bit spoiled...
  9. Equestrian role model? Stacy Westfall. Hands down. Met her at the Equine Affaire one year and was reduced to a puddle of goo from excitement. 
  10. What’s your one, main goal, while being in the horses world? Own a damn horse for more than six months? Hah. Sarcasm aside, I just want a horse that I click with and can have some fun with.

Most of my nominees have gotten a nod already, so I am going to open this up to anyone who feels they would 1. like to answer the questions or 2. feels there should be a blog nominated that hasn't yet! I adore all of the blogs I follow and feel like I have a lovely little blogging family to turn to when things go screwy. Thanks for being there, ya'll!

1 comment: