Sunday, November 1, 2015

We Solemnly Swear We Are Up to No Good


Yesterday was fantastic.



I rode a unicorn. A bouncy, fresh, naughty, silly one. I got to wear my Hogwarts cosplay in public and only be judged a little. We all laughed and whooped and ran around like fools and I had to pick up the pieces of Little Grey's brain because I made him be polite and it was an amazing Halloween treat to spend it with good friends and excellent horses.



I also bought a horse.


So, without further adieu...everyone, meet Travesura Realizada, aka Sirius, formerly known as Benicio. I chose his barn name because he reminds me very strongly of Sirius Black from Harry Potter. Sirius is fun, loud, brash, fiercely loyal and incredibly big hearted...but he is also reckless and stubborn, with a tendency to act before he thinks. He chooses to do the right thing more often than not, but he's not perfect. Neither is Little Grey...and that's what I love about both of them.

"Travesura realizada" is the Spanish translation of "mischief managed". I figured, seeing as I'm calling him Sirius, he should have a little bit of the Marauder's Map in his name for good measure...even if I don't think our mischief will ever be TRULY managed.



He will be staying at J's through the month of November. Come December, he'll be moving to a longtime house sitting client's house, very close to my aunt and right on top of my favorite trails.


I am excited for and by this horse. He is just the right mix between challenging and fun. We have things to work on, but they are small things that will not take long or much effort because he is smart and wants to do the right thing. All of this combined makes me anxious to jump right into building a partnership with him, because I can already tell that he is the kind of horse to lock on to a human, and just get better and better as time goes on.



Not to mention, we are going to get into a hell of a lot of trouble together...

And it's gonna be epic.


“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.” 
-- Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

10 comments:

  1. I am so very, very excited for you!! Looking forward to seeing where things go with him.
    And I LOVE both the costume and the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the names & the photos + costume are awesome. I have no doubt the two of you (much like Fred & George) will keep everyone around you on their toes and laughing. I CANNOT WAIT to follow your stories & adventures ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo fun!! And yay congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have a little grey horse that has bonded so tight. What breeding is Sirius?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sirius is a Paso Fino. He has Profeta de Besilu on his dam's side and Mi Sueno/Coral LaCE on his sire's side. He's very fino bred on the mare side and largo bred on his sire's side, so he has a lovely range of very correct, consistent gait.

      If he and I end up with just a quarter of the bond you and Ashke have, I'll consider myself lucky :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I love the name choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sirius is my favorite HP character so little grey horse has already won me over! And I have to say you both look like you were meant to be together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Harry Potter theme. If you don't mind my asking, what house are you in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravenclaw all the way :) I grew up with Harry Potter and I've been semi-active in the fandom for probably ten years now. Been itching to name a critter with a HP name for years now...just never had the right critter come along! ;D

      Delete