Saturday, September 28, 2013

Henry the Huge Draft Horse Versus the Pumpkin Spice Latte

It was a typical Saturday morning for Henry the Huge Draft Horse. His mom came out and fed breakfast, he jostled for a hay bucket, and batted his big, white eyelashes to make sure everyone knew just how cute he was. Same stuff, different day.

Then I showed up.

With the Coffee Cup.

I can haz?

It was the most fascinating thing on the planet to Henry. I wasn't aware of his fascination until I had taken a swig of my latte (pumpkin flavored things are the only redeeming thing about fall...) in front of him and he eagerly reached out for it. I hastily snatched it away from his nearly prehensile lips.

"Ahem. This is mine. Amanda doesn't share food. Or coffee." I eyed him. He blinked back at me innocently. I figured that would be the end of it.

Hah. Hahahahaha. Not so much.

I went about grooming him. I picked out his full, lovely tail while wondering why my hair couldn't look like that. I scrubbed his white legs and giggled at all the hair that shed off, making it look like it had snowed. I curried his favorite itchy spots and he twisted his lips happily.

Then I went to grab my coffee again. His ears pricked and he reached out towards me, top lip quivering.

"You aren't going to like this."

His eyes pleaded silently.

"You really aren't going to like this!"

He stretched his neck out further, trying desperately to make contact with my coffee cup.

Cautiously, I reached out and put the cup within touching distance. If he were a dog, his tail would have been wagging furiously. He tapped it with his muzzle gleefully.

I CAN haz!!

Before anything else happened, I grabbed my phone. I figured documenting this was a good idea. Then, I held the cup out to him. He swelled with excitement when he realized I wasn't about to snatch his new toy away again.

He nosed it for a moment, and then his big lips engulfed the lid. He seemed unhappy that he couldn't yank the top off with just his lips, and was having a hard time figuring out how, exactly, to get purchase with his teeth. By this point, I was giggling. He was so determined to figure out why I wasn't sharing this Magic Juice with him! Curiosity killed the cat (pony?), Henry!

Maybe if I just do this...


Seconds later, I noticed those bigs lips slide over a sizeable drop of coffee. Uh oh.

He yanked his head back in surprise. Displeasure flooded his face, and he flipped his top lip up comically. This was decidedly Not Good. Bad Magic Juice! He did this a few times, before bringing his head back down and eyeing my coffee cup suspiciously, as if the Magic Juice inside was going to come out and get him. It was no longer Magic Juice in Henry's little pea brain, but Evil Elixir!

ABORT, ABORT!

I was too busy laughing my ass off to comfort him (or take a non-blurry picture of him protesting the taste of coffee) in his distress. Pumpkin Spice Latte, 1. Henry, 0.

You do make me laugh, you big yellow beastie!

He forgave me :)

Happy Weekend, ya'll!


ETA: Proof that I do more with Henry than just humiliate him with evil coffee cups! ;)

I'd say it was just the angle of the photo, but his head IS really as long as my body...




1 comment:

  1. Aw bless, Henry vs the coffee cup is hilarious, so glad you were able to snap pictures!
    He is adorbs & i love the picture of you guys. Going from the size of my FriesianX's head, i can well believe that Henry being a full draught has a mahoosive head!

    ReplyDelete