Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter Doldrums

I know I'm not alone when I say "no more winter, kthxbai", but after this past weekend's teeny, tiny little taste of spring...?

GIVE IT TO ME NOW. NOW NOW NOW. *flails*

Even with the warm weather, I was entirely uninspired to ride this weekend. I didn't even bother. Instead, I tested out a new grooming product (B+ for the SleekEz, which is basically a hunk of wood with some sort of weird blade shoved into it...it unmatted his fur, sort of), rejoiced over the fact that he was not NEARLY as disgusting as he has been, and threw him a little birthday party. Simba turned 11 on the 18th, and because I am actually a pre-teen and not twenty three, I stuffed a "happy birthday" tiara on his head, humiliated him by taking pictures, and then giving him a bran mash, which he slurped up happily with his tiara on.

Tolerant pony is tolerant.
I moved him around in the snowy round pen on Sunday because he was being a jackass about...well, everything. Once he got some of his excess energy out he was much more agreeable. I am so, so ready to get this horse into regular work. Next week is one step closer: Daylight Savings kicks in. Also, THIS is one step closer:

Judge my stuffed animal collection. Go on. Do it. I dare you.

IT'S HEEEEERE! Okay, my saddle wasn't due to me for another FIVE weeks, but lo and behold, it's here! We received a UPS "hey you need to be home to receive a package!". T, his wife Q, and I all looked at each other blankly because none of us were waiting on a package (or so I thought!). I looked up the tracking number and my heart fluttered when I realized it was coming from KY. Could it be?!

Aaaand it was! I dove into the box yesterday afternoon and then spent the evening staring at it. Of course, now that I have the saddle...the Skito saddle pad I ordered is off with a local blanket repair person to be re-covered with a different fabric (long story short: color in picture was WAY off from what it actually was...it was more green than blue, so I found the fabric I wanted online, ordered some, and found someone to fix it for me), and his new Taylored Tack headstall had to be sent back because it came in the wrong color (misunderstanding between myself and the manufacturer, but she was so kind in taking it back to fix it!). So, I'm entirely unprepared for the saddle to be here. L is letting me borrow her larger Skito pad for this weekend, and I'll dig in my box o' horse crap in the basement for my black dressage headstall (must. match!) for the time being.

So, maybe, despite the incoming cold snap (BAH), I will ride my horse again this weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Head saves his neck sometimes, that's for sure ;)

      Delete
  2. I also make Mollie wear tiaras on her birthday. Woohoo saddle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one that torments her horse!! ;D

      Delete
  3. Shy had that same tiara for her birthday last year :)
    Adults totally put tiaras on their horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to find one in blue, but none existed :( Boo!

      Ack, don't call me an adult! I refuse to admit that I'm an adult! ;D

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Simba & yay on early saddle arrival :-D
    Hope you get to play with it over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking to be in the mid thirties over the weekend, so at least one day of riding would be nice!

      Delete
  5. Oooo the saddle gods are smiling kindly at you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww birthday boy! Love the tiara!

    ReplyDelete